Agriculture is an important pillar of our national economy. in this sense, wheat is one of the most important crops in our country. One of the major reasons for the decline in wheat production per acre in our country is the lack of timely planting of wheat. Out of the total area under cultivation of paddy, Basmati varieties are cultivated in 65-70% area. That is the reason for the late-ripening of basmati varieties. This leads to late wheat cultivation which results in a lower average yield per acre of wheat. In addition, due to the high cost of farming elements (water, diesel and factors) on land preparation. Cost continues to rise.
Special efforts are needed to safeguard and better utilize the golden resources and to promote and implement modern farming methods, including lands, water, diesel, time, and labour and save money and be environmentally friendly. Wheat cultivation is a modern innovative and environmentally friendly way to grow in a large area after harvesting paddy. Wheat can be cultivated which saves time and money in the preparation of land and in the cultivation of wheat and with the increase in production the profit per acre can also be increased.
What is Zero tillage Technology?
Zero tillage (also known as No-till farming) is a method in which wheat is sown directly by a special zero tillage drill in a large area after harvesting cotton and paddy. This zero-tillage drill is easily produced in Pakistan and this method makes it possible to sow wheat seed in rows at a certain depth as well as to spread the fertilizer around the seed at the same depth in the preparation of land, time can be saved. Delays of two and a half weeks are eliminated. Expenses on land preparation are saved and also water is saved.
Advantages of cultivating wheat with zero tillage drill without prior preparation of land
- Cultivation of wheat with zero tillage drill technology reduces the cost of land preparation. Adopting this technology makes wheat cultivation possible in a timely manner.
- Wheat cultivation in residual moisture saves water used in Rauni. 20 to 30% of water consumption is saved. About 20 litres of diesel is saved per acre. Reduces air pollution. Tractor breakage is reduced.
- Simultaneous disposal of seeds and fertilizers makes it easier for plants to obtain food, which accelerates plant growth and thus allows wheat plants to dominate the weeds.
- Increases fertilizer efficiency. Zero tillage technology is equally useful on all types of land in paddy fields.
- Due to untimely sowing of the crop in traditional methods, there is not enough time for growth and ripening of the crop, whereas due to sudden increase in the intensity of premature heat, the crop ripens quickly, leaving the grain barren. Which causes a decrease in production?
- By cultivating the crop with this improved and modern method of cultivation, the cost per farmer (cost) is reduced and profit is increased.
Recommendations for Use Zero Tillage Drill:
- Before using a zero tillage drill, make sure that the soil is well-drained (moisture is present).
- Before use, remove and clean excess spray etc. from the field.
- Do not leave fertilizer and seeds in the drill.
- Clean drill pipes and cans after completion of work.
- Fertilizer and seed pipes at the sowing period Keep checking. If the field is dry, apply first water immediately after sowing.
- Do not use powdered fertilizers.
- After use, keep the drill under the shed.
DR. RIZWAN MAQBOOL ( Assistant Professor)
Department of Agronomy, UAF
- Rice Transplanters: A worthwhile investment for rice farmers
- Precision Agriculture: A must for Future Generations
- Farmers and Modern Agriculture